U.S. flags burned during protests over the murder of Kevin Peterson Jr. in Portland.


After a vigil for a black man shot by police, tensions flared up for a second night in Portland’s largest suburb as contradictory reports from law enforcement agencies obscured the circumstances of the man’s death.

On Friday, mourners gathered at Hazel Dell in Clark County where Kevin Peterson Jr., 21, had been shot the night before after officers approached him believing he was selling drugs in a hotel parking lot.

Authorities have not officially named Peterson, but Kevin E. Peterson Sr. told the Oregonian that the man shot was his son. The incident in southwestern Washington State is about 12 miles north of Portland, in neighboring Oregon, where racist justice protests have been raging for months after the shooting of George Floyd in May.

Friday’s footage, which was distributed through social media, showed skirmishes and screaming attacks between right-wing and left-wing protesters near the site where hundreds had gathered for the memorial. There were also confrontations between right-wing demonstrators and supporters of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement. Many waved flags of President Donald Trump or pro-police flags.

A crowd from the vigil gathered again in downtown Vancouver where they marched past City Hall before heading north, despite police vehicles blocking their way to the Vancouver Police Department, Oregon Live reported.

The march reached the Clark County Supreme Court building, which was guarded by about 40 federal officials, as people said “Say his name! Say his name! Kevin Peterson,” the news said.

Remains of American flags from the courthouse in front of the Feds pic.twitter.com/u5qkbB0IqK

– Sergio Olmos (@MrOlmos) October 31, 2020

âSay his name, Kevin Petersonâ
Federal officials stand guard in Vancouver, Washington pic.twitter.com/XVwPyHYqIF

– Sergio Olmos (@MrOlmos) October 31, 2020

An Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB) reporter who shared images of the skirmishes in social media twittered that remains of burned U.S. flags were found outside the courthouse.

The OPB also reported that shots were fired near protesters in downtown Vancouver, but no one was injured and it was not an active shooting. Vancouver police made a number of arrests during the night.

Mac Smiff, an organizer of the Black Lives Matter protests in Portland, told the Associated Press: “There was a ton of grief, a ton of mourning. He is 21 years old and has a baby, a toddler,” and added, “They are not sure what happened or why the encounter took place. Everyone was extremely dishevelled and confused”.

There were different reports about what led to Peterson’s shooting. Without calling him by name, Clark County Sheriff Chuck Atkins said in a statement Friday that “the man reportedly fired his gun at the deputy sheriffs when entering a bank parking lot. The deputies returned fire and the victim was tragically killed.

However, the Southwest Washington Independent Investigative Response Team (SWIIRT) said in a statement that the victim simply “produced” a gun before the deputies fired.

Tekk.tv has contacted the Battle Ground Police for comment, which is providing public information for the SWIIRT investigation.


Leave A Reply