Police officer shot in Los Angeles grocery store, suspect in custody.


A man was taken into custody shortly after a Los Angeles police officer was shot dead in a supermarket on Sunday.

The officers responded to a call from a man who caused a disturbance at the Ralphs grocery store near the intersection of Balboa Boulevard and Devonshire Street in the Granada Hills neighborhood at about 6:30 pm, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) said.

The officers reacted when they learned that the suspect was armed with a gun, the police said.

Cell phone video footage taken by a witness at the scene showed the suspect shirtless, standing on the top shelves in the store, shouting at people.

Peter Genovese, who took the footage, told Tekk.tv that the suspect was standing shirtless in the store yelling at people: “I arrived at Ralphs grocery store to shop for dinner and noticed a lot of people standing outside with their phones pointed at the store.

He said that he then saw a Hispanic who he thought was in his mid-thirties, standing on the top of the shelves in the store’s freezer section.

“He yelled at some officers who then called for backup. More officers came, who eventually put on tactical equipment and brought non-lethal weapons,” Genovese said.

The LAPD said the shooting in which the officers were involved occurred after the officers made contact with the man. It was not immediately clear how many shots were fired, but LAPD said one officer was hit by shots.

Genovese said the suspect jumped off the shelves and ran to the back of the store where the shooting occurred.

The suspect ran out of the back of the supermarket and into an Arco gas station across the street, Genovese added, but then “he went out and lay down on the floor.

“By that time, many officers had already arrived, as well as two police helicopters, fire trucks and ambulances,” he said.

The LAPD said the suspect was taken into police custody after he left the store.

The man, who LAPD said was not hit by a gunshot, was taken to a local hospital for medical examination. A firearm was recovered at the scene, police added.

Police officer released from the hospital with sutures at hand. Grateful. https://t.co/J8UTc2esuS

– Chief Michel Moore (@LAPDChiefMoore) November 2, 2020

The officer who was shot suffered injuries that are not life-threatening, the LAPD said, and he is expected to make a full recovery.

Later on Sunday night, LAPD chief Michel Moore said the officer had been released from the hospital. “Officer discharged from hospital with sutures at hand. Grateful,” Moore wrote on Twitter.

LAPD was contacted for additional comments….


Leave A Reply