Secretary of State Mike Pompeo seemed to be sarcastically implying that the U.S. State Department is prepared for a second term under President Donald Trump when a reporter asked him on Tuesday about the Department’s plans to work with Joe Biden’s transition team.
Although several major broadcasters have scheduled the presidential race for Biden on November 7, Trump has not yet given up on the race, and some people within his administration have discouraged him from doing so.
During a press conference on Tuesday, a reporter asked Pompeo if the State Department was preparing to work with Biden’s transition team and, if not, how this might affect the department’s responsibilities when a new government takes power.
“There will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration,” Pompeo replied. He shook his head and giggled before continuing his answer, making it unclear how serious he had been about the first part of his answer. “We are ready. The world is watching what is going on. We will count all the votes. When the process is complete, there will be voters to be chosen – there is a process. The Constitution makes it pretty clear.”
Pompeo said, regardless of who is inaugurated on January 20, “I am very confident that we will do everything necessary to ensure that the government, the government of the United States, will continue to fulfill its national security function.
“The world should have every confidence that the transition necessary to ensure that the State Department is operational today, successful today, and with the President in office one minute past noon on January 20, will also be successful,” Pompeo said.
Washington Newsday asked the Biden transition team for comments, but did not receive a response in time for publication.
This is an evolving story and will be updated as more information becomes available.