According to local police, a man was killed this weekend in an “accidental” shooting at a New York State gun club.
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office said that according to local media reports, the 67-year-old died Saturday after an “accidental discharge of a firearm” at a Penfield gun club.
Officials and emergency medical services were called to report a shooting at the Genesee Conservation League facility at 1570 Old Penfield Road at about 9:30 that morning.
The victim, whose name was not disclosed, was subsequently pronounced dead at the scene.
Sergeant Ken Weber told the local newspaper Democrat and Chronicle that the man was shot and killed at the Genesee Conservation League club’s indoor shooting range.
He did not elaborate on the circumstances of the incident.
Meanwhile, Wayne Cichetti, the chairman of the Genesee Conservation League, confirmed in a statement that the victim was a “longtime club member” and a certified shooting range officer.
Cichetti said the man was serving as a safety officer in a United States Practical Shooting Association competition when he was hit by “accidental discharge from a competitor’s firearm.
“This is a most unfortunate accident, and we mourn the loss of a loyal member and friend,” he added.
“Our deepest sympathy goes to the family and loved ones of this member”.
Cichetti confirmed that the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office had opened an investigation into the shooting.
He also said the Genesee Conservation League had begun a review of its security protocols after the “tragic incident.
The shooting range is currently closed until further notice because “the club and the Sheriff’s Department have completed their investigation” into the shooting, Cichetti said.
Washington Newsday contacted the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office for comment.
The shooting comes just two months after another firearm incident in New York State that killed two people and injured 14 others.
The September 19 incident, a mass shooting, occurred in the city of Rochester in which a man and woman were killed in what then Police Chief Mark Simmons called “a tragedy of epic proportions.
The victims were later identified as Jarvis Alexander and Jaquayla Young, both 19 years old.
The police investigation into the mass shooting is still ongoing. Local authorities announced last month a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for the incident.
“We will not tolerate this kind of violence in our community and our city, and we will do everything we can to bring those responsible to justice,” said Acting Chief of Police Cynthia Herriott.