Man accused of fatal shooting of 19-year-old friend in McDonald’s bathroom.


A Missouri man was charged with the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old friend in a McDonald’s bathroom.

Officials responded to the McDonald’s on Highway 7 in Blue Springs, Missouri, after shots were reported around 7:50 p.m. Monday, the Blue Springs Police Department said in a press release.

They identified the victim in the shooting as Harry Bowers from Lee’s Summit. Bowers was found shot in a bathroom and taken to a hospital where he died, Fox4 reported.

Joseph Mayes, 20, has since been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the first degree and armed criminal acts related to the shooting, The Kansas City Star reported.

According to the newspaper, a McDonald’s manager told police that she was “good friends” with Bowers.

Court documents say the manager told police that she hung out with Bowers, Mayes and another man at the restaurant Monday night, WDAF-TV reported.

When the restaurant ran out of ketchup, she had gone to another McDonald’s nearby to get more ketchup.

She was outside when Mayes came running out of the McDonald’s and said he accidentally shot Bowers. According to court records, he then fled the scene.

Blue Springs police were informed by nearby Grain Valley police that Mayes and another man had traveled there to find a place to “hide,” according to the station.

Grain Valley police officers then took Mayes and two others into custody shortly before 10 p.m.

A Blue Springs police spokesman told Washington Newsday that the other two people arrested by police were questioned and released without charges.

In an interview with Blue Springs police on Tuesday, Mayes told officers that he and Bowers often held guns to each other.

Mayes said he was at the urinal in the McDonald’s toilet when Bowers came up behind him, put his gun on Mayes’ stomach and “pulled the trigger to hear it click,” the star said.

The court documents state that Mayes then pulled his own gun, pointed it at Bowers and pulled the trigger. Mayes told the police that he did not know there was a bullet in his gun.

Mayes went to check on Bowers, who had fallen to the ground. “You shot me,” Bowers told Mayes on WDAF TV.

Mayes told police that he then fled the restaurant, met up with friends and tried to change his appearance. He went to the house of a relative who convinced him to turn himself in, the station reported.

The court documents said Mayes asked about Bowers in his police interview. After he learned that Bowers had died, “Mayes became very emotional and began to cry.

The Jackson County and McDonald’s prosecutors were asked for additional comments.

This article has been updated with a comment from a Blue Springs police spokesperson….


Leave A Reply