House Democrats achieve majority, but Republicans are ahead in most of the remaining races.

0

The Democrats gained control of the House of Representatives on Tuesday night when they won the 218th seat they needed to maintain their majority in the House of Commons for another two years, but in many of the remaining races the Republican candidates are ahead.

According to the latest Associated Press (AP) assessment, more than a week after election day there are still 16 ballots open for the House of Representatives. The Democrats have so far won 218 seats in the House of Commons with 435 seats, while the Republicans have gained 201 seats.

Cook’s Political Report, which called for five more ballots for the GOP and four more for the Democratic candidates, shows that seven ballots are still open, with Republicans leading the vote in all of them.

“Now that #CA39 is over, the House of Representatives’ count is 222 [Democrats] to 206 [Republicans] with seven races not called,” Dave Wasserman, editor of Cook Political Report House, tweeted Monday night. “Republicans currently lead the vote count in all seven races, but it is easy to imagine that the Dems will win in one or two of them in the end.

At least two of the GOP leaders are in congressional districts that the Democrats should keep before election night.

In California’s 39th Congressional District, Republican challenger Young Kim has just over 4,000 votes and a 1.2-point lead over Democratic incumbent Gil Cisneros with 98 percent of the reported votes, according to the AP’s latest count.

Democratic representative Thomas Suozzi of New York’s 3rd District is ahead of GOP rival George Santos by a similar margin. The Republican leads the race with just under 4,200 votes and 1.5 points, with 72 percent of the votes counted. However, Congressman Suozzi is expected to retain his seat when the remaining 28 percent of the votes are counted.

Another four districts in New York that were classified as “toss up” by the New York Times tracker prior to election day are also strongly Republican in nature, with between 15 and 22 percent of the estimated votes still to be counted – meaning there is still a chance that they could vote Democrat.

In the state’s 11th Congressional District, which includes Staten Island, GOP candidate Nicole Malliotakis is likely to depose incumbent Democratic Congressman Max Rose as 15 percent of the estimated votes are still to be counted.

The Republican challenger, who is supported by President Donald Trump, is ahead of Rose, who won the district in the 2018 midterm elections, with more than 15 points and 37,000 votes. According to Cook Political Report analysts, the latest results mark a 22-point leap over the Democrats’ opponents.

Over in the 4th Congressional District of Utah, an incredibly close race between Democratic Congressman Ben McAdams and his Republican rival Burgess Owens is still undecided, with the GOP candidate and ex-footballer leading by 0.5 points.

Some 1,700 votes separate the candidates, who, according to AP figures, garner more than 96 percent of the vote. When McAdams took over the district from ex-congresswoman Mia Love (R) in the 2018 midterm elections, he won with just under 700 votes.

In the race for the 2nd Congressional District in Iowa, Republican candidate Mariannette Miller-Meeks leads Democratic candidate Rita Hart by only 48 votes, with almost 100 percent of the votes counted. It was reported that a second recount is expected in the district….

Share.

Leave A Reply