We recognize the park in southern Liverpool today as the historically shaped park of the old Toxteth Deer Park, until the land was bought by the Earl of Sefton from the City Council in the 1860s to create Sefton Park.
Sefton Park is one of the most popular public spaces in our city – but it has changed a lot in the 150 years since it was officially opened by the Earl of Sefton Park.
It was once home to a number of exotic birds, but it has fallen into a sad state of decay.
The park was officially opened to the public by His Royal Highness Prince Arthur on May 20, 1872.
The plans for the park were drawn up by the French landscape architect Édouard André and the Liverpool architect Lewis Hornblower, who won a design prize of 300 guineas in 1867.
An original design for the park included plans for a “Large Aviary”, which was to form the heart of a “bird park” area, directly opposite the cricket pitch.
At that time, aviaries were a popular attraction in the Victorian parks of Liverpool, and in its heyday the aviary was home to many exotic bird species, including parakeets, budgies, African Grey and Amazon parrots.
The design by André and Hornblower, which was created to match the November 1866 competition documents, showed the large aviary – but it was not actually introduced until 1901.
The aviary was a curved building with rustic rock arches in a large cage.
But as people traveled more and more and became more aware of animal welfare and conservation, the popularity of these aviaries began to wane.
In the second half of the 20th century the area began to fall into disrepair, leaving the grounds in a poor state of repair.
Mr. Grant wrote: “With so much money being spent on the renovation of the Palm House, visitors and tourists must pass by the aviary on their way. It looks like a very poor relative.
In an ECHO article published on August 27, 1997, Peter Grant writes that the “once beautiful attraction is now a grim eyesore and a monument to neglect”.
“The aviary, built in the 1870s, was a huge tourist attraction and a favorite on school trips. Before the war, the large number of bird species made the collection one of the most important in the north of England.