In Australia, a highly poisonous eastern brown snake was found slithering around a child’s bedroom.
The Snake Catchers Ipswich & Logan published a video of the snake that was spotted in a house in Flinders View, a town in the eastern state of Queensland.
The video clip shows the snake that the snake catchers said was a “baby” hiding behind some furniture before trying to escape from the person recording the video.
“Here we have an eastern brown snake in a boy’s bedroom. Time to go, buddy,” says the snake catcher.
The eastern brown is one of nine species of the brown snake that live in Australia. These snakes, which all belong to the genus Pseudonaja, are considered one of the most dangerous snakes in the world.
Some species of this genus, including the Eastern Brown, have a venom strong enough to kill a human.
The East Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis) is the largest member of this genus with a length of up to eight meters.
Laboratory tests on mice show that this species possesses the second most toxic venom of all land snakes in the world, according to Australian Geographic.
The venom of the eastern brown snake contains a number of different toxins that can cause paralysis and prevent blood clotting.
The most common causes of death from an Eastern Brown Snake bite are cardiac arrest and bleeding in the brain.
Dying from a snake bite is very unusual in Australia, according to experts from Charles Sturt University in the southeastern state of New South Wales.
But between 2000 and 2016, brown snake bites caused more deaths than any other snake bite in the country – less than two per year on average, according to a study published in Toxicon magazine.
Although eastern brown snakes have a reputation for being aggressive, experts say that like other snakes, they tend to avoid attacking people unless they are provoked in some way or feel threatened.
Eastern Brown Snakes are widespread in the eastern half of Australia and are often found in populated areas, sometimes finding their way into people’s homes. The task of a snake trapper is to remove them safely when this happens.
“It’s not always through open doors and windows, often they come through the gaps around garage doors and then into the house, or cat/dog bring them in,” said Snake Catcher’s Ipswich & Logan in a comment on the Facebook video post.