There are fears that Wirral Council will be forced to leave Wallasey Town Hall ‘forever.’


There are fears that Wirral Council will be forced to leave Wallasey Town Hall ‘forever.’

Fears that the historic Wallasey Town Hall might never be used again for Wirral Council meetings sparked a heated debate among councillors.

In a meeting held at the Floral Pavilion, Wirral Council’s Policy and Resources Committee, which replaced the cabinet last year and is the council’s most significant committee, reviewed where its future operations will be based.

Due to features such as its size, which provides for proper social separation between councillors, the New Brighton location is currently being utilized for all of the authority’s public meetings instead of the pre-covid venue of Wallasey Town Hall.

The Floral Pavilion will be used for six months, with a possible reconsideration in September, according to last night’s meeting.

Conservative councillor Jeff Green, on the other hand, expressed concern that there was a “agenda” to put an end to meetings at the iconic Brighton Street location for good.

“I wasn’t sure if [this item in the meeting]was an attempt to get us out of Wallasey Town Hall for forever and a day,” Cllr Green added.

“I know it says six months,” he said, “but it doesn’t say it’ll end in six months; it says it’ll be reviewed.”

“The study goes into great depth on why Wallasey Town Hall should not be reopened.

“So that appeared to be the agenda as I read through.”

Since 1920, council meetings have been held at Wallasey Town Hall, which has a long and rich history.

The site for the town hall on Brighton Street was chosen after a lengthy dispute known as “The Battle of the Sites” in 1912 inside the now-defunct Wallasey Council.

The town hall opened in November 1920 and served Wallasey meetings until 1974, when all of the nearby boroughs merged to become Wirral Council, which utilized Wallasey Town Hall as its meeting site until the Covid-19 pandemic began.

The discussion, according to David Armstrong, Wirral Council’s assistant chief executive, was not about a plan to permanently close Wallasey Town Hall and that all councillors were doing was. The summary comes to a close.


Comments are closed.