Fabinho injury still under investigation
Here are the headlines of the Liverpool evening for Thursday 29 October.
All the latest news from Liverpool, views and transfer rumours from the ECHO, including the injury update from Fabinho, Tite responds to Klopp’s comments and plans the return of the fans to Anfield
Fabinho stepped in as central defender after the knee injury suffered by Virgil van Dijk in the Merseyside derby, so that Klopp would be left with only Joe Gomez and Joel Matip in the central defense after his absence.
The 27-year-old drew during the first half of the Champions League win against Midtjylland on Tuesday evening, and a longer period on the sidelines would be another blow for Jürgen Klopp.
Liverpool has not set a time frame for how long Fabinho will be excluded, as the Reds continue to judge the Brazilian’s hamstring after the first scans.
Tite reacts to Klopp jibe
The importance of the Brazilian is therefore enormous, but ECHO understands that a timeframe for his recovery has not yet been set.
It is expected that Klopp will give an update on Fabinho in his pre-match press conference against West Ham United before the game this weekend.
After being asked by a Brazilian journalist for an update on Fabinho’s injury and whether he would be available for the upcoming international break, Klopp hinted that Tite does not select the defensive midfielder often enough for it to matter.
The Brazilian coach Tite fought back when Klopp asked how Fabinho was used in the national team.
“Fab was not positive, but not too negative either, we will see, we have to wait for the scan tomorrow morning, then we will know more.
“I’m not sure if Tite is too worried because he never plays against him, so he probably won’t be on the bench for the next three international matches,” he said.
Meanwhile, Tite has reacted to the Reds’ boss. “Klopp and I have the same thinking and the same scale of values. The health of the athletes is of crucial importance. That is human,” he told Jovempan.
News about the return of the fans to Anfield
“Benefit is secondary, just as sport is secondary when we talk about health, when we talk about people, when we talk about something bigger. We have the same idea and the same way of watching football.
Earlier this week, Manchester United revealed its plans to make Old Trafford COVID safe. And now Liverpool has followed suit and put forward a series of new policies to make Anfield secure, including the use of digital tickets instead of physical ones.
In a statement, the club said: “It was expected that the opening games of the 2020-21 season would be behind closed doors until at least October at the earliest, with the likelihood that stadiums would then operate at reduced capacity in line with social distancing measures.
Liverpool is pushing ahead with Anfield’s preparations in the hope that the government’s ban on visiting fans will be lifted.