A survivor from Hillsborough who was struck by disaster dies while friends pay tribute to the “fantastic man”.


Grant Lockett, 51, suffered huge mental scars after the 1989 tragedy after sitting over the terraces of Leppings Lane, where 96 Liverpool fans died.

A twin father, who suffered for 30 years after witnessing first-hand the horrors of Hillsborough, tragically died in his sleep.

Grant Lockett, who was described as a “great and fantastic man”, died tragically in his sleep.

All of this led to his need for regular support and recently he took a step to gain access to treatment through a group set up in Liverpool exclusively for survivors and supporters of Hillsborough affected by the tragedy in the FA Cup semi-final.

The official also lost several people close to him in the disaster and was only 20 years old at the time.

The lifelong Red returned home safely from Sheffield, but was severely affected by the horrific scenes he witnessed at the stadium.

Sadly, Mr. Lockett was found dead on Saturday after suffering from suspected heart failure while sleeping.

Mr. Lockett, according to his relatives, was in the “best emotional place he had been in for years,” and on Thursday he spoke to friends about his excitement at seeing his six-year-old daughter, Natasha.

But late Friday he stopped responding to messages on his phone, prompting a friend to go to his home.

Today, close friends describe him as a “lovable, fantastic man”.

One friend added: “Grant took care of all the nightmares of Hillsborough.

His 23-year-old daughter Alex is now arranging her father’s funeral, and an appeal for funds has been launched to help pay for it.

“He had processed everything in his head, but in the end his body gave up.

Mr Lockett grew up in Lincolnshire and lived in Norwich when he died.

He was a big Liverpool fan who had followed the Reds for most of his life and attended many games despite the distance.

But his experience triggered a complex PTSD that was never properly treated, and it took until spring 2019 when he contacted the Hillsborough Survivors Support Alliance (HSA) and set out on a possible path to recovery.

Once married, but now separated, he was in the West Stand, above Hillsborough’s Leppings Lane, but had friends and family in the tragic pens that survived the disaster.


Leave A Reply