Wuhan doctor, whose skin was darkened by COVID and is now normal again.


A doctor from Wuhan, whose skin has become significantly darker as a result of COVID-19, has now returned to normal, according to the Chinese state media. Yi Fan and his colleague Hu Weifeng made headlines at the beginning of the pandemic after recordings of them were distributed online in the hospital. While Yi was recovering from the disease, Hu died in June.

On newly released footage, Yi returned to the hospital to thank one of the doctors who had treated him. Respiratory specialist Wang Chen, who is also vice president of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, attended an event at a local hospital when Yi met with him to discuss his recovery, reports the state-run Global Times.

Yi was diagnosed with COVID-19 in January and hospitalized after he became seriously ill. Both he and Hu’s complexion darkened during the treatment.

The cause of this change is unknown. Some reports suggest that it was the result of liver damage caused by the disease, while others say it was a reaction to an antibiotic given to the two doctors at the beginning of their treatment.

When their skin color initially changed, the doctors said they expected it to return to normal once they recovered from the disease.

Yi Fan, a doctor from Wuhan whose skin had darkened after his liver was damaged by the #COVD19 virus, has recovered almost completely. In an interview with CCTV, he said that after almost 40 days of treatment he could now sit down and chat. pic.twitter.com/3hoXIMb7eI

– Global Times (@globaltimesnews) April 21, 2020

Yi’s condition was treated with a pump that circulates blood through an artificial lung and back into the bloodstream. He was released in March and was finally discharged in May.

In a video released by the Chinese state television station CCTV in April, Yi said he had “essentially recovered” and was generally breathing well, but walking was still a little difficult. He said that when he was released from the hospital he wanted to go to Beijing to thank the people who saved him.

Hu received the same treatment, and as his health began to improve, he suffered from cerebral hemorrhaging and died on June 2. His death triggered a backlash against the Chinese authorities and the way the pandemic had been handled.

At the time, the state media pointed out that Hu had worked in the same hospital as Li Wenliang. Li, an ophthalmologist, became known as an informant who had warned of the corona virus in December by sending a message about the dangers of the virus to his colleagues via social media.

Shortly afterwards he was forced to sign a document stating that he had given false information that would disturb public order. Li became infected with the virus while working at Wuhan Central Hospital and died in February.

According to The Guardian, Hu was the sixth doctor at Wuhan Central Hospital to die of the disease. A hashtag on his death had over 400 million views and nearly 50,000 comments, with many asking why the hospital directors had not been punished. Others asked why the staff was silenced when they tried to warn about the risks of COVID-19.


Leave A Reply