In New York, an elderly man who was mistakenly declared dead files a lawsuit.


In New York, an elderly man who was mistakenly declared dead files a lawsuit.

After being incorrectly proclaimed dead last year, an elderly New Yorker is suing the city and one of its hospitals, resulting in months of suffering while he tried to correct the error.

According to the New York Daily News, Shirajul Khan, 70, was left without insurance for eight months after Kings County Hospital pronounced him dead in April of last year.

Khan, a Queens resident, has never been a patient at the Brooklyn hospital in East Flatbush. According to the publication, a different Shirajul Khan died on April 21 last year after building up over $90,000 in hospital bills for COVID therapy after insurance.

Khan claims that as a result of the mix-up, he lost his social security benefits and did not receive government stimulus benefits, according to his case, which was filed in Brooklyn Supreme Court on Friday.

Khan went to Medicare to fix an insurance issue and was directed to the hospital, which he did in May of last year. For months, the hospital allegedly passed the problem from department to department.

“This has caused me a significant deal of distress and anguish… “I was plainly not dead,” Khan alleges in the complaint, which also claims that after being proclaimed dead, he fell behind on his mortgage payments by roughly $40,000.

At a time when New York City, an early epicenter of the pandemic, was being decimated by COVID, Khan stated fixing the issue was challenging.

He continued in the lawsuit, “It has been incredibly difficult for me and my family to cope with and settle, especially given it all transpired during the early months when the global pandemic caused by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) was beginning to take over New York City.”

According to the Daily News, Khan is suing the city of New York and Kings County Hospital, which is run by the city, for more than $400,000 in damages.

The city hospital system and Kings County Hospital have been approached by Washington Newsday for comment. Khan and his family could not be reached for comment right away.

Khan’s case isn’t the first time someone has struggled to clear matters up after being declared dead by mistake.

Last month, it was reported that an 84-year-old Navy veteran had spent months trying to prove he wasn’t dead. This is a brief summary.


Leave A Reply