On Thursday, Carnegie Hall announced that due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, it will cancel all upcoming shows until April 5, 2021.
In a statement received by Tekk.tv, Clive Gillinson, Carnegie Hall’s Executive Director and Artistic Director, said: “It breaks our hearts to all of us that we have to extend the closure of Carnegie Hall because of the COVID crisis, but we are doing so with the health of our audience, our artists and our staff in mind”.
He continued, “We will continue our close consultations with medical and health care professionals and government officials to determine if there is a possibility that live music will be resumed in some form next spring. We know that everyone is anxious for the performing arts to return to New York City, and we are determined to explore all possibilities to bring music back to the city as soon as it is safe to do so. In the meantime, I remain deeply grateful to our entire Carnegie Hall team for their work, which enables us to connect digitally with music lovers around the world and serve the hall’s mission in exciting new ways.
On its website, Carnegie Hall had planned numerous events and concerts between January and April. Many of the concerts appear to have been planned for personal performance, as seating tickets are available but tickets have not yet been sold. It is not clear whether these events will be postponed when performances can take place again at the concert venues.
A complete list of cancellations can be found on the Carnegie Hall website. A press release stated that more information on the spring and summer 2021 programming would be announced early next year.
The historic concert venue, New Yorkg, had previously announced in a June press release that it would cancel all events scheduled between October and December in the interest of safety. “This was a very difficult decision for us, but the safety of the artists, audience and staff of Carnegie Hall is paramount,” Gillinson said in a statement at the time.
At the time, Gillinson said that the restrictions associated with the virus made it difficult to reopen the hall safely. “After ongoing consultations with medical professionals and other experts, and given the current government restrictions and social distancing protocols, we have concluded that there is no option but to extend the hall’s closure until the end of the calendar year to allow for further improvement in health. Although this has been a tremendous challenge for all of us, we continue to focus on preparing for when we will be together again and in the meantime, actively engaging audiences digitally in the service of our musical mission,” he said.
Prior to the June announcement, the concert hall was one of many places where it was announced that the shows would be cancelled as closures began in March. Carnegie initially cancelled shows throughout March and later until May 10. The rest of the season’s cancellation was announced in early April.
Although fans had to wait a little longer to return in person for performances at the historic venue, Carnegie, like many other iconic venues, hosted live streams and virtual performances throughout the pandemic period. Concerts and master classes were streamed from Carnegie’s Facebook page and YouTube channel. The music hall features a number of artists for online performances, including the Kronos Quartet and a tribute to Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Carnegie is the last venue to announce that it will remain closed during the pandemic. Earlier this month, Broadway announced that it would remain dark until June 2021.